McDonald's Kick-Off FIFA World Cup™ With First-Ever Global French Fry Packaging Redesign
by Diane Lindquist on 05/28/2014 | 6 Minute Read
McDonald's kick-off FIFA World Cup™ with first-ever global french fry packaging redesign (in collaboration with local artist of each country). In addition, they are launching the new Augmented Reality app that rewards customers with an egging, virtual trick-shot challenge.
"This is the first time in brand history we’re changing the packaging design of one of our customers’ most favourite menu items on a global scale, and what better reason than to share in the excitement of one of the most prestigious sporting events in the world. This is about bringing fun, innovative programming to our customers and celebrating our shared love of futbol. We’re excited to be able to do that through an engaging, interactive mobile experience, and of course with our World-Famous Fries."
- Steve Easterbrook, Senior Executive Vice President and Global Chief Brand Officer of McDonald’s
"The redesign will treat customers and futbol fans with an exclusive collection of original street art that reflects the beauty and passion of the game of futbol. Twelve artists from around the world were chosen to create the special new designs, which will canvas McDonald’s Medium and Large fry boxes in the majority of company-owned and franchised restaurants worldwide and trigger the downloadable app, entitled 'McDonald’s GOL!' Customers can download the app and begin play as soon as they have their specially-designed fry box in-hand. It’s as easy as holding the screen of their mobile device up to the front of the box. As the device recognizes the artwork, a futbol pitch will appear in an AR scene on the screen, with the fry box as the goal and other built-in objects as obstacles. The idea is to 'kick' the ball with the flick of a finger and divert or use obstacles to get the ball into the goal.
Created for McDonald’s in collaboration with Qualcomm Connected Experiences, Inc. and Trigger, the app brings a truly new mobile play experience to customers using the Qualcomm® Vuforia™ mobile vision platform. This app showcases the Vuforia platform’s new cutting-edge Smart Terrain™ feature, representing a technology breakthrough that allows users to build their own play spaces using everyday objects.
'McDonald’s GOL!' will be compatible with most Android and Apple mobile devices and will be available for download in the Google Play store and Apple App Store™ starting on May 26. Instructions for download will be available on the back of each specially designed fry box or can be found on gol.mcd.com. The new fry boxes will be available throughout the duration of the 2014 FIFA World Cup while supplies last.
The artists showcased on the specially-designed fry boxes include:
- Australia: David Spencer, Artwork Title - ‘The Perfect Kick’
- Brazil: Eduardo Kobra, Artwork Title - ‘O mundo unido pelo futebol’ (translation: ‘The world united by football’)
- Canada: Mügluck, Artwork Title - ‘Unite Together’
- China: Hua Tunan, Artwork Title - ‘World of Victory’
- England: Ben Mosley, Artwork Title - ‘Fans of the World’
- France: Skwak, Artwork Title - ‘The Maniac Football Party’
- Germany: Roman Klonek, Artwork Title - ‘Freaky Fan Club’
- Japan: Doppel, Artwork Title - ‘Kick the One’
- Russia: Egor Koshelev, Artwork Title - ‘The Perfect Goal’
- South Africa: Adele Bantjes, Artwork Title - ‘Heart of the Game’
- Spain: Martin Satí, Artwork Title - ‘Flamenco Number One’
- USA: Tes One, Artwork Title - ‘Formations’
A number of marketing and communication activities are planned to support this program. This includes the online release today of a lively video that features real-life futbol trick-shot talent from around the world.
McDonald’s has been an Official Sponsor and the Official Restaurant of FIFA World Cup for 20 years."