The Allotment Makes Shivering Mountain Gin A Beacon Of Design Innovation
by Shawn Binder on 07/14/2020 | 4 Minute Read
In the saturated gin market, it can be difficult to find a way to truly stand-out. Thankfully the design team at London-based design studio The Allotment found a way to honor geographical complexity in their design for The Peak District's gin: The Shivering Mountain.
The bottle itself utilizes the bottom to construct a mountain peak that comes in either blue or pink. The mountain was inspired by Mam Tor, the mountain that is often called The Shivering Mountain.
The clear gin surrounds the mountain peak, revealing what feels like another world. The gorgeous serif copper foiled font that adorns all the branding for the gin gives the bottle a unique and design-forward feel. The elements work together to make this gin brand instantly stand out on a shelf.
The gin market is immensely saturated and competitive. With over 800 brands competing in this space we were, admittedly, slightly skeptical when an entrepreneur and passionate gin expert approached us to create a new brand for his distillery in The Peak District. Our enthusiasm though climbed when we saw his commitment and when we started to understand the potential to tell an amazing, authentic and visually evocative brand story.
Our brief was simple but challenging. It was to develop;
– a new craft gin brand that would stand-out as a premium beacon of exceptional quality and authenticity.
– a brand that will have craft at its core, illustrating the highest levels of provenance, storytelling and taste.
– a brand that will appeal locally to the distillery (The Peak District), as well as further reach internationally.
– a brand that has the legs to extend its relevancy to future gin innovations, growing markets and new gin variants.
‘People don’t buy brands they buy into the story behind brands’. In this case, through our research, we discover a rich historic and geological tapestry that led us to a big idea (Ginology) and the brand name – Shivering Mountain, after the mountain that dominates Hope Valley, the location of the distillery. A gin and story forged in the local terroir that literally moves the hand-crafted, premium gin to new depths of experience and taste.
Building on the idea of Ginology and the impact of elemental forces that have shaped the ruggedness and beauty of The Peak District, we developed a disruptive, creative solution that celebrate the nature and provenance of the new gin.
Everything has been considered, from the unique shivering bottle that becomes part of the experience and a conversation starter for this very new brand. The website that slides effortlessly from one page to the next along a fault line which reflects the Shivering Mountain’s landslide angle. Every touch point delivers on the quality promise that Shivering Mountain gin has been ‘forged & foraged for peak perfection’.
• The brand name and proposition
• The brand identity
• The bottle design
• The website with online sales (launching Sept/Oct 2020) – view the interim website at shiveringmountain.com
• The on-trade sales brochure
• The distillery interiors/signage/uniforms
• Gift packaging and merchandising
- Co-founder and Creative Director: James Backhurst
- Co-Founder and Managing Director: Paul Middlebrook
- The work has been supported by:
- 3D Design and modelling: Ben Miners at Graphik Boutique
- Web Coding: Evil Donkey
- Print: Impress
- Design Studio: